Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Update and new 2000 point Dark Angels list

So, it has been a little while since my last update.  But quite a bit has happened since my last post.  Perhaps most significantly, I played in a local 2000 point tournament.

So, overall, the tournament was really small and I ended up really just playing two games, once against a friend that I play regularly anyways. All of the battles were "Purge the Alien" which wasn't great for my Army composition as I had 14 KP available.   I ended up placing third, which still gave me a prize, but I was also given a free game because of the odd number of competitors.  This free game ended up biting me in the butt and likely cost me second place as second place came down to a die roll.

As for the games I did play, I used the list I posted on here a few weeks back that included Belial and Imperial guard allies.  The first game I played was against a World Eaters Chaos army.  The army itself was nicely painted and had some formidable units.  The army consisted of Typhus leading a squad of Terminator Champions, a squad of Berserkers in a Rhino, a squad of Noise Marines in a Rhino, a small squad of plague marines, and two squads of Obliterators.  This game went very well for me as I was able to completely stop the Chaos advance and then used Belial and my terminators to disrupt his obliterators.  Once his terminators and Typhus arrived from deep strike, I was able to bait them away from my main army and kept them mostly out of the rest of the game once they killed my IG platoon (my bait unit).  By the end of the battle, I had nearly tabled my opponent, with him having only an almost dead Typhus and the Terminators left.  I won this game hands down.

The second game I played is really where I felt the Army composition disadvantage I had.  I gave up a lot of KP, and my opponent had very few KP to take.  I ended up losing 9 to 6 against a Blood Angels army that was built specifically for "Purge the Alien".  I didn't feel that bad about this loss as I kept things about as close as I could, and I learned a lot about what type of army to bring to the next 2000 point tournament.

The list I came up with is:
Belial with Twin Lightning Claws

Deathwing Terminator Squad
-Apothecary with SB/PF
-Banner with SB/PF
-Sergeant with Claws
-2x TH/SS
-1x Cyclone

Deathwing Terminator Squad
-Sergeant with Claws
-1x Lightning Claws
-3x TH/SS
-1x Cyclone

Deathwing Terminator Squad
-Sergeant with Claws
-1x Lightning Claws
-2x TH/SS
-1x CF/SB
-1x Cyclone

Tactical Squad (10 man)
-Sergeant with Plasma Pistol
-Plasma Gun
-Multimelta

Devastator Squad (10 Man)
-Sergeant with PF
-2x Missile Launcher
-2x Lascannon

Allies:
IG Company Command Squad
-2x Plasma Guns
-1x Autocannon
-1x Master of the Ordinance

Guardsman Marbo

IG Veteran Squad
-3x Plasma gun
-1x Missile Launcher
-Demolitions

IG Veteran Squad
-3x Melta Gun
-Demolitions

Vendetta Gunship

This list only gives up 11 KP which was about the average in the last tournament.  Also, most people had issues with Terminators, so having three units should help.  Lastly, I switched to IG veteran squads and a Vendetta for the increased accuracy and firepower.  Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. We'll see Sunday, but am thinking that the IG are going to be the weak link. If I saw all terminators, and then some IG vets, I know which kill points I would go for first.

    I like Marbo, but I think if you dropped Marbo and 1 vet squad you could pay for another vendetta (this would reduce your KP by two, and make another KP harder to claim - because both vendetta's would have to be killed for the KP)

    On the other hand, if everyone brings terminators, you might be glad you had the plasma guns...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I tweaked it a bit, and here is what I came up with:
    I took out the tactical squad , 5 devastators, and marbo. I also took the PF off of the Devastator sergeant and the missile launcher out of the veterans and manged to fit a second Vendetta and a Land Raider. My thoughts to this are two-fold. I only have 10 KP now, and with two vendettas, I can load the veterans inside both for more survivability and much needed demo templates where I need them similar to Marbo. The Landraider will be tough to bring down and will add more survivability to my Warlord and my nasty command squad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that looks pretty good, but will everything fit into your Land Raider? 7 guys in terminator armor (I think they do make one that big, but it's the redeemer or the crusader, right?)

    Actually, just to check, it looks like all of your terminator squads are 6 - are you allowed to have 6 man squads, or am I reading it wrong (I don't have DA codex, so I could be wrong about the 5 man limit too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are 5-man squads...cyclone is just listed separate. And yes, I can fit 6 inside of a Land Raider, or 8 I think in a crusader

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would check - unless yours are different than mine, the "Land Raider" can hold 10 (5), the Crusader can hold 16 (8), and the Redeemer can hold 12 (6) - but the redeemer has to use firestorm cannons, and I'm not sure I would want to get that close because of how easy it is to hit vehicles in melee now (although I guess 14 is still 14).

    I know you might have just been using Land Raider as generic title for the class of vehicle, just didn't want you to be surprised if you meant landraider (with las cannons), and got stuck using something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm, I'll have to double check once I get home. I could have sworn 12 for Land Raider and 16 for Crusader. But, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete